Recipe for Dhal Puri
2lbs self-raising flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 packet yellow split peas
Olive/coconut oil for frying
- Boil peas with a teaspoon of oil and salt until they are soft enough to be crushed between thumb and index finger.
- Drain the peas and let them cool on a tray/flat dish.
- When cooled, grind them in a food processor or manually crush with a fork until fine and powdery.
- Season with black pepper.
- In a large bowl, stir flour and baking powder together. Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water. Pour some into the well and mix with hands. Continue adding water and mixing until the dough is of bread-like consistency.
- Pull the dough together into the middle of the bowl.
- Allow to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut dough into smaller pieces and roll into palm-sized balls.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- With your thumb, make a dent in each dough ball and fill with a tablespoonful of the crushed split peas.
- Carefully pull the dough to enclose the peas inside the ball ensuring that it is completely sealed.
- Complete all dough balls
- Heat oil in a cast-iron or frying pan.
- Roll out each dough ball into a flat disc, being careful to not allow the peas to spill out.
- Fry until the disc floats and has the desired golden colour. Flip once to cook both sides.